Stress causes tension and anxiety
Some of the childhood circumstances that may cause a person to develop Anxiety Disorders.
- Parents are overly concerned with safety. If parents are constantly over cautious and fearful about danger in everyday events this can cause a child to be afraid to explore and will view the world as dangerous.
- Excessive criticism from parents often makes a child feel insecure and dependent. If the child feels overly dependent on the parents approval and this approval is withheld this sets up an over reliance on a safe person and can later changes to a safe place this can lead to agoraphobia.
- Parents discourage expression of feelings and assertiveness in asking for needs to be met. If a child is shamed or humiliated for the way he expresses himself or for getting angry he will often try to hold his feelings in which causes anxiety and depression.
- Stress also causes tension and anxiety. When cumulative stress builds up, people can start to have panic attacks.
Anxiety disorders are maintained by the following
- Avoiding the situations that cause anxiety
- Anxious self- talk
- Negative and self limiting beliefs
- Denying your feelings
- Lack of assertiveness and expression
There are many ways to treat anxiety disorders including EMDR, cognitive therapy, cognitive rehearsal, hypnotherapy, exposure therapy, EFT, Imagery desensitization, and systematic desensitization.